Our school opened in 1978 and is named after a local pioneer, community physician and resident of St. Albert, Dr. William D. Cuts. Dr. Cuts was born near Willingdon, Alberta. After graduating high school, he taught for five years before enrolling in medicine at the University of Alberta. In 1945, he moved his family to St. Albert, where he served as medical health officer for the area. He was named St. Albert's first Citizen of the Year in 1966, was a member of town council and was instrumental in starting the first YMCA classes in St. Albert. He was a founding member of the St. Albert Lions Club, the St. Albert Breakfast Lions, the St. Albert and District Chamber of Commerce and our school division. He served continuously as a school trustee until his death in 1977.